Students are teachers too

 





Comments

  1. Maddie, I really like your title for your post! You summarize the problems and challenges of resources and the shortage of qualified teachers very well. Teachers are given an overwhelming amount of students, constant paperwork, and they are expected to help every student in such a short period of time. The teacher may also not be qualified because of the high demand of ESL teachers. As you and the book mention, teachers can use students as a resource. Students can relate and connect to each other in ways that a teacher can not. This is why teachers must encourage a buddy system or strong student to student relationship. A host student from a new student’s country will be a welcoming and friendly face that the student can confide in. This student will make the transition easier. As teachers we sometimes miss this opportunity to have students build relationships with each, but it will help the students and the teachers. The students will have a new friend and the teacher will have less stress. Great post, Maddie! (Word Count 174)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie, I wanted to start by saying I enjoyed reading your post. One thing that stuck out the most to me was your mentioning of the classroom with 43 students and one teacher. I agree with you, that it does seem impossible. I can not imagine being in that position! This wouldn’t be an easy task even if the class was full of English speakers. I really like that you included using students as a resource. As educators, I think we forget that we can use our students to assist us in the classroom. We don’t have all the answers, and we don’t need to have all the answers to still be doing a good job. It would be very smart for educators to have their students assist each other more in the classroom, especially if there is a language barrier. Like you said, in doing this, they can make the transition for students easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddie, I really enjoyed reading your post and all the vital information you provided. You summarized key points from chapter 4 that explain how important a teacher-student relationship can be. I specifically liked your idea of having a current student be a host to a new student to show them around the school and to be able to embrace their language and give them confidence to be proud of who they are. It is often overlooked how useful a student can be as a resource to others. The text states that, “it not only reduces the burden for the school and classroom teachers, but it also makes the host-students feel that they are important members of the school community, giving them a sense of relationship, agency and pride”( 80). Not only does it allow the new student to feel this way, it also allows for them to build friendships and a sense of comfortability. I know if I were to be moving from a foreign area I would feel out of place and want to distance myself from others. As educators, it is our job to find ways to help make our students feel comfortable and safe in the classroom. Great work! (Word count-202)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment